B.A. 2000, Cornell University
M.P.H. 2007, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
J.D. 2008, Cornell Law School
Areas of Expertise
Jocelyn Getgen Kestenbaum is an Assistant Professor of Clinical law. She joined the Human Rights and Genocide Clinic in 2013, where she supervises clinical projects on issues of international criminal justice. Professor Getgen Kestenbaum is the director of the Benjamin B. Ferencz Human Rights and Atrocity Prevention Clinic, as well as director of the Cardozo Law Institute in Holocaust and Human Rights. Previously, she worked as program director of Virtue Foundation, a nonprofit implementing rights-based sustainable development projects in health, education, justice, and women’s empowerment globally. Prior to her work at Virtue, Jocelyn was the founding Women and Justice Fellow for the Avon Global Center for Women and Justice at Cornell Law School. While at the Avon Global Center, Getgen Kestenbaum co-supervised projects and co-authored reports on issues of gender-based violence and access to justice, including a comparative study on acid violence in Bangladesh, India and Cambodia.
In addition, she supervised international human rights litigation projects to secure education rights of Afro-descendants and indigenous peoples in Colombia. Getgen Kestenbaum has conducted original in-country research in several countries throughout Latin America, Africa and Asia, and has written award-winning articles examining the reproductive health and human rights violations of Nicaragua's complete abortion ban as well as Peru’s enforced sterilization programs during the internal armed conflict. Her commitment to international human rights has won her Cornell’s Freeman Award for Civil and Human Rights.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Jocelyn Getgen Kestenbaum in the news
- Mar 12, 2019 Human Rights Clinic and Dispute Resolution Program Join Forces to Help Indigenous People in Brazil
- Oct 25, 2018 Professor Getgen Kestenbaum's Report on Blasphemy Laws Cited on CNN
- Oct 8, 2018 Professor Getgen Kestenbaum's Report on Blasphemy Laws Cited on ABC News
- Sep 30, 2018 Professor Getgen Kestenbaum's Report on Blasphemy Laws Cited in Newsweek
- Jun 24, 2018 Professor Getgen Kestenbaum's Article on Anti-Blasphemy Laws Detailed in The American Spectator
- Jun 13, 2018 Professors Getgen Kestenbaum and Rona Lead Team of Human Rights Clinic Students to Brazil
- May 11, 2018 Professor Getgen Kestenbaum's in IntLawGrrls - 'Law as a Method of Destruction: Dismantling Indigenous Land Rights in Brazil'
- May 9, 2018 Professor Getgen Kestenbaum Speaks at Permanent Mission of Costa Rica
- Feb 16, 2018 Professors Getgen Kestenbaum, Rona Involved in Creation of UN Book Addressing Child Involvement in Armed Groups in Contemporary Armed Conflict
- Jan 25, 2018 Professor Getgen Kestenbaum Speaks on Indigenous Land Rights in Brazil