Civility and Courtesy Expectations
We expect that all patrons will be aware of library policies, comply with the policies, and treat all library staff and fellow patrons civilly. All staff members can exercise discretion to ask patrons to leave the library or have Security do so.
- Eating is not allowed anywhere in the library.
- Drinks are allowed in spill-proof containers.
- Phone conversations are not allowed inside the library.
- Noise should be kept to a minimum inside the library. The library is a space for quiet study. Patrons who are distracting or disturbing to others will be reminded to comply or directed outside of the library.
- Personal belongings should not be left unattended. Unattended items may be held at the library Circulation Desk, but will be brought down to the main Security Desk's lost and found every evening.
- Fire Alarms and evacuation directions must be complied with immediately. Safety procedures and drills are held so everyone can be prepared in case of an emergency. For more information on fire safety and active shooter instructions, please see the Campus Safety page.
Filming & Photography
- There is no filming or photography in the library unless permission has been granted. Contact the library administration for approval.
Use and Protection of the Collection and Equipment
- Library users are responsible for complying with the copyright laws (17 U.S.C.) of the United States. Unless specifically permitted, the copying of computer software is prohibited.
- Valid YU identification cards must be presented upon request to library staff. A YU identification card is needed each time an item is checked out.
- The unauthorized removal, mutilation, or defacement of library equipment and materials is prohibited.
- Fines are charged for materials not returned by the due date.
- Library materials cannot be taken into examination rooms.
- Eating is not permitted inside the library. Beverages must be in covered containers to avoid spills that can cause damage to books and equipment.
Acceptable Use of Technology
- Library patrons should not move, tamper with, or install applications on library equipment. This includes computers, printers, and scanners.
- Students should read and understand the Yeshiva University Student Technology Resources Use Handbook.
- Furniture in the library should stay in the area for which it is intended. Moving furniture can be dangerous and cause damage and injury. There are various seating options in the library and seat cushions available for check out at the Circulation Desk.
- Please consult with library staff if you are having trouble finding a comfortable space to study.
- Pets are prohibited in the library with the exceptions detailed in the University Pet Policy.
- Located on the 8th Floor of the library, the Contemplation Room is a dedicated space for reflection, meditation, and/or prayer. Student Services maintains the guidelines for the use of the space.
- Questions about the Contemplation Room can be directed to Student Services (email@example.com) or to the Director of the Law Library, Ingrid Mattson (firstname.lastname@example.org).