B.A., 1974, M.A., 1976, M.Phil., 1979, Columbia University
J.D., 1982, Northeastern School of Law
Areas of Expertise
Jonathan Oberman is a Clinical Professor of Law and the Director of the Criminal Defense Clinic. Over his twenty years at Cardozo, Professor Oberman has taught Criminal Procedure, Criminal Law, Wrongful Convictions, and Ethics of Criminal Advocacy. In addition he teaches the Defense Clinic Seminar and directs the Criminal Defense Clinic, supervises students in the Criminal Appeals Clinic, and in the past litigated cases with the Innocence Project.
Over his tenure at Cardozo, close to 150 former students have gone on to careers in Public Defender offices all over the country.
Before coming to Cardozo, Professor Oberman spent eleven years working as a Public Defender in both appeals and trials, where he served as a supervising attorney and trial trainer.
He continues to work as a cooperating attorney with lawyers in the Legal Aid Society Criminal Defense Practice.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Jonathan H. Oberman in the news
- Jun 29, 2018 Two Cardozo Clinics Win Client’s Criminal Appeal and Release from Prison; A Third Cardozo Clinic Fights to Keep Him in the Country
- Apr 29, 2018 Does Manhattan DA Cy Vance Prosecute the Rich Differently Than the Poor? Professor Oberman Comments in NY Magazine
- Oct 18, 2017 NY Daily News Interviews Professor Oberman on DA's Intent Rationale in Weinstein Case
- Apr 8, 2016 The Promise of a 'No-Jail' Recommendation: Prof. Jonathan Oberman's Op-Ed in the NYLJ
- Mar 9, 2016 Prof. Jonathan Oberman and Clinical Fellow Kendea Johnson Publish Op-Ed in NYLJ: The Limits of the Liang Conviction
- May 12, 2015 Cardozo Professors Make A Tangible Difference in the Legal Field
- May 8, 2015 Criminal Defense Clinic Helps Student Wrongfully Accused of Rioting on Brooklyn Bridge
- Feb 12, 2015 Professor Jonathan Oberman in the New York Law Journal: Bronx Defenders Has No 'Bad Apples'
- Dec 9, 2013 Experts: Recklessness, Negligence Key for Train Case