B.A., 1971, Sarah Lawrence College
J.D., 1982, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
Areas of Expertise
Barbara Kolsun, co-director of The Fame Center, is a leading fashion industry attorney, an adjunct professor of fashion law at Cardozo Law, and co-editor of the seminal text on the subject, Fashion Law – A Guide for Designers, Fashion Executives and Attorneys (Bloomsbury, 2nd Edition, 2014). She is a consultant to fashion companies and has taught at NYU and Fordham Law Schools. Barbara has served as General Counsel of Kate Spade, Stuart Weitzman and Seven for All Mankind, and was Assistant General Counsel of Westpoint Stevens and Calvin Klein Jeans. While in private practice, her clients included Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger. Kolsun currently consults with fashion companies on various issues, and was honored with lifetime achievement awards in 2015 by both the Luxury Summit in London and the World Trademark Forum at INTA. She has served as Chairman of the Board of the International Anticounterfeiting Coalition and has spoken and been published widely on fashion law around the world. Cardozo's FAME Center for fashion, arts, media and entertainment law.
A consultant to fashion companies and has taught at NYU and Fordham Law Schools.
Kolsun started the legal departments and was the first General Counsel of Kate Spade, Stuart Weitzman and Seven for All Mankind, and was Assistant General Counsel of Westpoint Stevens and Calvin Klein Jeans. As outside counsel in several firms, she represented Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger. Kolsun currently consults with fashion companies on various issues, and was honored with two lifetime achievement awards in 2015 by the Luxury Summit in London and by the World Trademark Forum at INTA. She has devoted significant time and effort to the cause of enforcement of intellectual property serving as Chairman of the Board of the International Anticounterfeiting Coalition and has spoken and been published widely on fashion law around the world.
She has been the subject of stories in numerous publications, including the New York Times, and was a consultant in intellectual property to USAID's Start Vietnam program in 2002 and 2004.
Kolsun clerked for the Second Circuit after her graduation from Cardozo in 1982. She received her J.D. from Cardozo Law in 1982 and is a member of the Order of the Coif. She received her B.A. from Sarah Lawrence College in 1971 and her experience as a professional singer and actress continues to motivate her fierce efforts to protect artists' and designers' intellectual property rights.
Barbara Kolsun in the news
- Dec 7, 2018 Lyor Cohen's Visit to Cardozo Featured in Rolling Stone
- Nov 29, 2018 Shoe Brand Extraordinaire Stuart Weitzman Inspires Cardozo Students
- Nov 19, 2018 Six Women Discuss Succeeding in the IP Sector
- Oct 22, 2018 Cardozo is Named to Billboard's List of Top Music Law Schools for 2018
- Mar 1, 2018 Professor Kolsun to Speak at 10th Annual IP Corporate Counsel Forum
- Feb 21, 2018 Compassion Through Fashion: Cardozo’s FAME Center Interviews Daniel Friedman of Bindle & Keep
- Jan 24, 2017 Music Legend Clive Davis Dazzles Audience at Cardozo
- Sep 12, 2016 New York Law Journal: Professors Barbara Kolsun and Lee Sporn Write About the Many Hats of a Fashion Lawyer
- May 17, 2016 Prof. Barbara Kolsun Quoted in WSJ on the AntiCounterfeiting Coalition's Decision to Revoke Alibaba Group's Membership.
- May 12, 2016 Prof. Barbara Kolsun, Co-Director, FAME Center for Fashion, Arts, Media & Entertainment Law, Mentioned in Forbes Article: Alibaba Promises to Crack Down on Counterfeiting - Will Luxury Brands Buy It?