Nine Cardozo alumni were named as Billboard Magazine’s 2020 Top Music Lawyers. In addition, Billboard named Cardozo as one of the top 10 most frequently cited alma maters of the 2020 Top Music Lawyers, along with Columbia Law School, Harvard Law School, New York University Law School and University of California, Los Angeles School of Law.
Here are the nine Cardozo alumni on their top music lawyers list:
- Jason Boyarski '00, Partner, Boyarski Fritz
“Executives at SiriusXM approached Boyarski, lead counsel for Prince’s estate, and Troy Carter, the estate’s entertainment adviser, as part of their efforts to create a small number of new, limited-time channels for iconic artists. 'I was incredibly proud that Prince was considered for the honor, especially being the lone African American among other iconic artists chosen [for the first shows], including The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, the Eagles and Led Zeppelin. That is quite a group. This is a great example of how a silver lining was created from the pandemic and brought to fans.'
- Brad Cohen ‘05, Senior VP, head of litigation, Warner Music Group
- Matt Greenburg ‘86, Of counsel, Ritholz Levy Fields
"Greenberg led his firm’s moves into Latin music during the past decade, representing artists (Anuel AA, Sech, Wisin & Yandel), producers and writers (Tainy, Ovy on the Drums, The Rude Boyz, Keityn) and companies (GLAD Empire, Gerencia 360, Big Ligas)."
- Grace Kim ‘04 Partner, Grubman Shire Meiselas & Sacks
- Michael Reinert '82, Partner, Fox Rothschild
- Michael Seltzer '92, Senior VP business and legal affairs/head of commercial transactions team, Universal Music Group
- Julie Swidler '82, Executive VP business affairs/general counsel, Sony Music Entertainment
“Swidler has modernized Sony’s artist contracts to promote transparency and has managed the evolution of its royalty reporting systems to pay artists faster. As a member of the Recording Academy’s Diversity and Inclusion Task Force, she has been an advocate for women throughout the music industry.”
- Monika Tashman '00, Partner, Manatt Phelps & Phillips
- Kenneth Weinrib '83, Partner, Franklin Weinrib Rudell & Vassallo
“Weinrib helped clients obtain releases and waivers “to perform in support of critically important causes and issues” for organizations including the Robin Hood Foundation.”
Read the full article here.