LL.B., 1975, University of Sheffield
Ph.D., 1984, University of Edinburgh
Areas of Expertise
Professor Goodrich was the founding dean of the department of law, Birkbeck College, University of London, where he was also the Corporation of London Professor of Law. He has written extensively in legal history and theory, law and literature and semiotics and has authored 12 books. He is managing editor of Law and Literature, and was the founding editor of Law and Critique. His most recent book is Legal Emblems and the Art of Law (Cambridge University Press, 2013); and to this coruscating and lucifugous erudition can be added co-writing and co-producing the award winning documentary Auf Wiedersehen: 'Til we Meet Again (Diskin Films, 2012).
The Scene of the Mass Crime: History, Film and International Tribunals (with Christian Delage). Routledge, 2013.
Legal Emblems and the Art of Law: Obiter Depicta as the Vision of Governance. Cambridge University Press, 2014.
"Visiocracy: On the Futures of the Fingerpost." 39 Critical Inquiry 498-531.
"The Political Theology of Private Law." 11 ICON 146-161 (2013).
"The Foolosophy of Justice and the Enigma of Law." 24 Yale Journal of Law and Humanities 141-178 (2013).
Peter Goodrich. (2014). Legal Rhetoric. In M. Macdonald (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Rhetorical Studies. Oxford University Press.
Peter Goodrich. (2013). Screening Law. In M. Pasche & J. Radul (eds), A Thousand Eyes: Media, Technology, Law and Aesthetics. Sternberg Press.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue, Room 411
New York, NY 10003
Peter Goodrich in the news
- Jun 14, 2018 Professor Goodrich Publishes Chapter, Gives Lectures in London
- Apr 26, 2018 Professor Goodrich Publishes Chapters in Two Books
- Mar 28, 2018 Professor Goodrich's New Book "Schreber's Law: Jurisprudence and Judgment in Transition" Released
- Feb 12, 2016 Professor Peter Goodrich Quoted in Quartz - Celebrate Valentine’s Day Medieval Style: By Judging Other People With Your Friends
- May 20, 2014 Law and Interpretation: Derrida's Legacy