B.A., Brandeis University
J.D., Vermont Law School
LL.M., Columbia Law School
Areas of Expertise
Gabor Rona received his B.A. from Brandeis University, J.D. from Vermont Law School and LL.M from Columbia Law School.
As the International Legal Director of Human Rights First, he advised Human Rights First programs on questions of international law and coordinates international human rights litigation. He also represented Human Rights First with governments, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, the media and the public on matters of international human rights and international humanitarian law (the law of armed conflict).
Before Human Rights First, Gabor Rona was a Legal Advisor in the Legal Division of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Geneva. At the ICRC he focused on the application of international humanitarian and human rights law in the context of counter-terrorism policies and practices. He represented the ICRC in intergovernmental, nongovernmental, academic and public forums and his articles on the topic have appeared in the Financial Times, the Fletcher Forum on World Affairs and the Chicago Journal of International Law, among other publications. In addition, he represented the ICRC in connection with the establishment of international and other criminal tribunals, including the International Criminal Court. He has also taught International Humanitarian Law, International Human Rights Law and International Criminal Law at the International Institute of Human Rights in Strasbourg, France, the University Centre for International Humanitarian Law in Geneva, Switzerland and Columbia Law School in New York.
Gabor Rona in the news
- Oct 23, 2018 Professor Rona Calls for Regulation of Private Military Industry in Just Security
- Jun 20, 2018 Professor Rona Comments in The Atlantic on U.S. Decision to Leave UN Human Rights Council
- Jun 15, 2018 Professor Rona Writes to NY Times; Claims Pentagon Statistics are Unreliable
- Jun 13, 2018 Professors Getgen Kestenbaum and Rona Lead Team of Human Rights Clinic Students to Brazil
- Apr 26, 2018 Professor Gabor Rona Speaks at the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
- Apr 23, 2018 Professor Rona Outlines Flaws Under International Law of U.S. Counter-Terrorism Targeting Practices
- Feb 28, 2018 Professor Gabor Rona Writes in Opinio Juris on Illegitimacy of Guantanamo Military Commissions
- Feb 16, 2018 Professors Getgen Kestenbaum, Rona Involved in Creation of UN Book Addressing Child Involvement in Armed Groups in Contemporary Armed Conflict
- Nov 3, 2017 Professor Rona Presents Annual Report of UN Working Group On Mercenaries To UN General Assembly's Third Committee
- Sep 14, 2017 Professor Rona Presents at United Nations in Geneva