J.D. (Cardozo) / 
LL.M. (Diplôme d'Université en Droit) in French, European or International Law (Paris I)

Sorbonne Law School

Université Paris I - Panthéon-Sorbonne

Paris, France

Download the  2015-16 JD-LLM Sorbonne Abroad Application here

View the country information on France from the U.S. Department of State.












Cardozo Law J.D. students have a unique opportunity to spend their entire 3L year enrolled as LL.M. students at the Sorbonne Law School of the Université Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne.  Upon completion of all requirements at the end of the third year, students will receive both the Cardozo Law degree and the Paris I LL.M.  The aim of this tailor-made program, taught in French, is to offer law students and future lawyers a large variety of elective courses in their fields of interest, in-depth acquaintance with the intricacies of French and European Law and a new perspective on current global legal issues while learning in the best of the French academic tradition and Civil Law methodological techniques.

Most students take the New York Bar exam and then apply for the French equivalency exam on the basis of their admission in New York.  Graduates of this program are not eligible to gain entrance to the French Bar directly after this program. 
Students who finish this LL.M. degree may register for an additional year in Paris and join the Master I and or in some cases the a Master II degrees in Law.  Graduates with the Master I or II may be able to sit for the French Bar Exam directly without admission in New York first.

A maximum of two Cardozo students may participate each year.


With eight hundred years of excellence to build on, the University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, a descendant of the Sorbonne and the Faculty of Law and Economics of Paris, is one of the largest universities in France today. Some forty thousand students are enrolled in 14 teaching and research departments (Unités de Formation et de Recherche) and 5 Institutes, which offer top level degree courses in law, political science, economics, management and the humanities. Paris I is at the centre of a rich network of international relations stretching across the five continents and continues to play a major role in the training of researchers, academics, judges, lawyers, senior managers and top French civil servants.

The Sorbonne Law School, inaugurated in 2009, comprises the Law departments of the University of Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne and offers general and specialized programs including dual degrees and binational programs; the “LL.M. in “French Law and European Law”; and the JD/ LL.M. Program named “LL.M. in French, European and International business law”.

The school is centrally located in the vibrant Latin quarter, the Paris home of university students for almost a thousand years.


This JD/LL.M. program is open to Cardozo students who are fluent in French (spoken and written) and who have completed four semesters in residence at Cardozo School of Law.  In addition, students must complete all graduation requirements, including Advanced Legal Research, Professional Responsibility, the Writing Requirement, and, if fulfilling distribution requirements, all Category I, II and III Distribution Requirements.  Category IV Distribution Requirement will be fulfilled with the year abroad.  For students fulfilling core course requirements, the year of study abroad may be used in place of the Comparative Law course requirement in the JD core course list, provided law courses are taken that pertain to the country or region of study abroad.  Students must fulfill the four additional core course requirements at Cardozo.


The language of instruction at the Sorbonne Law School is French.  All courses are taught in French, and examinations (which may be written or oral) are conducted in French.  Cardozo students will meet the French proficiency standard required through the TCF (Test de Connaissance du Français) paper-based overall score of 400 points (level 4-B2).

The TCF is the French language test awarded by the French Ministry of Education. Detailed information on the test components is located at http://www.ciep.fr/en/tcf/presenta.php. The test is offered in New York at the following location:

French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF)

22 East 60th Street

New York, NY 10022

Telephone: 212-355-6100 - Fax: 212-935-4119

Email: emlaine@fiaf.org - Website: www.fiaf.org

Students should contact the testing center directly to determine date and time of testing, registration requirements, and required fees.

In the absence of TCF, the student may demonstrate proficiency by other means jointly agreed by the program directors, which may include interviews in French with Cardozo and/or Sorbonne faculty.


Applicants to the dual degree program should submit the application available at the link above to the Assistant Dean for Graduate and International Programs in Room 1007 no later than February 15 of their 2L year. 

 Required documents include:

§  Application form 

§  Resume

§  Statement of Purpose in English and in French
The statement of purpose should be no more than 2 pages single-spaced detailing interest in the program and how study abroad will complement your educational and professional or personal goals.  

§  Explanation of French proficiency

§  Letter of recommendation from a Cardozo faculty member (delivered or emailed to Amy Sugin at sugin@yu.edu)

§  Students holding an editorial position on a journal must arrange for the journal editor-in-chief to send an email to Amy Sugin which authorizes you to complete your responsibilities abroad.  Staff members on a journal must also notify their board of their intent to study abroad. 


February 15 of 2L year

Students should begin preparing materials at least 1-2 months prior to deadlines. Students will be notified by email whether they have been approved for study abroad approximately one month after the application deadline. 

After receiving approval from Cardozo for the program, the resume, transcript and letter of recommendation of nominated Cardozo students(s) will be forwarded for consideration to the Sorbonne Law School.  Though SLS retains discretion to accept or deny any applicant, the school will consider our nominations strongly.  An interview, by telephone or in person, with a member of the Cardozo or Sorbonne faculty in French may also be required. 



All students who study abroad are required to register at and pay full tuition and fees to Cardozo.   Students studying on Cardozo exchange programs may be responsible for some fees charged by the host institution.  Students attending an individual study abroad program are generally responsible for fees required by the host institution and, if the tuition exceeds Cardozo tuition, will be required to pay the tuition difference as well.

The Sorbonne student card will be paid by Paris 1 and covers :

1. Enrollment, health care provided by the French social security system (students over age 28 are not eligible to receive French health insurance but may purchase a yearly private French insurance in Paris),

2. Cultural activities

3. Access to all University facilities and specialized research centers as well as the University Law libraries

Financial Aid

Students may apply for financial aid to cover tuition charges as well as living expenses and travel costs for an approved semester abroad. For further information about financial aid, students should contact the Office of Student Finance in Room 1024.

Living expenses, including travel, insurance, housing books, and food are the responsibility of the student and can vary considerably by destination. For a link to foreign exchange rates, check here: http://www.xe.com/


The year begins on the first weekday of September, and ends the last weekday of March.  From March to May, students have the opportunity to secure an internship, though this is not for credit. 


Cardozo students will be expected to complete 60 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) courses, in keeping with the LL.M. program requirements of the Sorbonne Law School.   This should consist of eight (8) courses and will earn 24 Cardozo credits.  Students who successfully complete nine (9) courses during the year at the Sorbonne may earn 26 Cardozo credits.  Alternatively, students needing more than 24 credits for the third year may complete a two-credit independent research project under the supervision of a Cardozo faculty member during the year abroad. 

Former students have taken most or all of their courses through the LL.M. in French and European Community Law, a degree program taught in French which attracts international students from around Europe and elsewhere.  Course information for this LL.M. Program is available here: http://www.univ-paris1.fr/diplomes/llm/programme-des-enseignements/.   Classes may also be chosen among a large range of classes from the Licence 3, Master 1, and Master 2 if schedule and timing permits.  The  2015-16 course list is available here.  Students must complete a total of 60 credits total (each class counts either 4 or 8 credits at Sorbonne law). A learning agreement must indicate the chosen classes and must be signed by both programs directors. The first week of September (week of integration) comprises 10 hours of intensive French classes but also 10 hours of legal methods and introduction to the French legal system (4 credits). All classes and examinations will end before April.  An internship is not mandatory but is a possibility between March and May.  This internship will not carry credit.

Language Instruction

Participants should be proficient in written and spoken French. However, the University of Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne offers an intensive legal French course throughout the year.  No Cardozo credit will be awarded for this course.


· At Cardozo
Once approved, students must register during their regularly scheduled registration time for 12 credits of generic study abroad through the Office of the Registrar. Registration must be done in person, via fax to 212.790.0241 or as a pdf attachment to brookdaleregistrar@yu.edu.  The fax or pdf must include the student’s name, Student ID number, a request to register for 12 credits of study abroad with the name of the host institution, and the student’s signature.

· At Sorbonne Law School

Students will be directly advised by Sorbonne Law on the large range of available courses.  Students register upon arrival at the Sorbonne in September. 

Evaluation and Grading System

In Paris, students will be required to take both oral and written exams. Depending upon the course, students may also be required to write papers or provide oral presentations.

Grades are distributed on a 20-point scale, with 20 being the highest. The minimum grade for transfer to Cardozo is a 10. French honors or mention are given as follows:

Assez bien for a final grade of between 13-14.9 (good)

Bien for a grade between 15-16.9 (very good)

Trés bien for a grade of 17 or higher (excellent)

Cardozo transcripts do not list French grades and reflect only credits for work conducted at the University of Paris.

Transferring Credits:

As a condition to receiving credit students:

§  Must submit a hard copy of course titles, credit hours and descriptions to the Assistant Dean for Graduate and International Programs for approval in advance and must confirm their final registration as soon as it is done and while there is still opportunity to make changes.  Failure to receive advance approval will jeopardize credit transfer.  The acceptance of any credit or grade for courses taken at Sorbonne Law School is subject to approval, and any changes must be communicated immediately to the Assistant Dean for Graduate and International Programs.

§  Must earn a grade of “10” or better. No credit will be awarded for courses taken on pass/fail basis.

§  Only the credits and not the grades will transfer per ABA requirements, and the grades will not count toward honors and awards (such as graduation prizes or degree rankings such as cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude.)

§  Must register for a full-time course load abroad in order to fulfill residency requirements.

  • Must not duplicate coursework taken at Cardozo.

§  May not transfer more than 4 credits of law-related graduate coursework from outside a Faculty of Law toward their J.D. degree.  All requests to transfer credit from outside a Faculty of Law must be accompanied by the faculty member’s biography.

  • For those completing distribution requirements, the Category IV distribution requirement will be filled by going abroad. For students fulfilling core course requirements, the year of study abroad may be used in place of the Comparative Law course requirement in the JD core course list, provided law courses are taken that pertain to the country or region of study abroad.  Students must fulfill the four additional core course requirements at Cardozo.  You are responsible for checking with the Office of the Registrar to ensure that you will complete all other J.D. program requirements at Cardozo prior to departure for this program. 


Students must request two copies of their official transcript to be sent to Amy Sugin, Assistant Dean for Graduate and International Programs, 55 Fifth Avenue Room 1007, New York, NY 10003 prior to departure from the program.   It is good practice to request a personal copy as well for your records.



Sorbonne Law does not have on-site housing facilities. However, students may be assisted in their housing search.  A former student recommends the following accommodation : http://www.ciup.fr/en/ and the website http://www.caf.fr/ which may offer a subsidy toward housing for international students who provide an original birth certificate with apostile from the state of your birth.


Students studying abroad in France must apply for a student visa prior to departure which is required to obtain a student residence permit once you have arrived.  See http://usa.campusfrance.org for comprehensive instructions.  As visas can take some time to secure, you should register your intent to study in France immediately upon confirming your intent to study in Paris at the link above.  See also the Consulate General of France in New York for information about visas: http://www.consulfrance-newyork.org/


Students should secure health insurance coverage for the duration of their overseas study.  Not all domestic insurance policies will cover students while they are abroad, so check with your provider.
Cardozo has contracted with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) to offer a competitive plan for Cardozo students studying abroad.  If you are interested in enrolling in this program, please consult with the Office of Graduate and International Programs.

If you would like to contract for your own coverage for the time you are abroad, consult the following list of companies compiled by NAFSA: Association of International Educators.  These companies specialize in health insurance for those going abroad for educational purposes.

STA Travel International ID Card Insurance (this very basic insurance is automatically included with international ID cards issued by STA Travel).

Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) www.culturalinsurance.com/
HTH Worldwide (formerly Hinchcliff International), www.hthworldwide.com
For more listings, see: U.S. State Department -- Medical Information for Americans Traveling Abroad, 

International SOS

Students studying abroad are required to register with International SOS, a 24-hour international medical, security and travel assistance program, which provides local expertise, advice on medical and security pre-travel issues, and emergency assistance during critical illness, accident, or civil unrest.  It is also a one-stop repository for all of your important information, including passport number, emergency contacts, medical history, and so on.  Registration at http://www.internationalsos.com/MasterPortal/default.aspx?membnum=11BYSG000013
is in two steps:

  1. Activate your record: This is registration of your name, passport information, and emergency contacts.  You should also include medical history and upload important documents (including a copy of your passport) here. 
  2. Register your trip: This is where you put details of your travel outside the United States.  


Please be aware that disability accommodations may not be available in foreign countries. Mobility International USA (http://www.miusa.org/) can assist students with information.  If a student interested in studying abroad has a disability for which he or she may need accommodation during the semester overseas, please bring that to the attention of the Director of Graduate and International Programs as early as possible. 


Plan ahead to be sure you have a valid passport for travel.  U.S. Citizens should click here for comprehensive information on obtaining a passport: http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Other Country Information

The State Department maintains information sheets on foreign countries which include information on visa requirements, links to US Embassies, and safety, security and health information.  Please be sure to refer to the appropriate information sheet well in advance of your departure and to continue to checking back for updates: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1765.ht


Joan Divol, JD/LLM Program director

Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne

Centre Malher    9, rue Malher   75004 Paris            France

Tél. : (00 33)1 44 78 33 10  Fax : (00 33)1 44 78 33 66

Email: Ll.M-Droit@univ-paris1.fr  llmdroitsorbonne@gmail.com