During your 1L year, you should be sure to read the OCS newsletter (which you'll receive by email every Sunday evening) and Symplicity on a regular basis for future OCS programming.
Here is an overview of the 1L Timeline with regard to OCS:
- Welcome to Cardozo! All first year students are invited to attend the Annual Public Interest Legal Career Reception held at Fordham University School of Law, Time & Date TBA. The event is co-sponsored by 19 law schools in the New York City area.
- Give yourself time to adjust to the demands of law school. Familiarize yourself with the OCS website.
- Check out the OCS Resource Center (Room 1128).
- Read the OCS newsletter (emailed to you every Sunday) to keep up with OCS-sponsored events.
- Check out the Practice Profile Lunch Series sponsored by OCS. Each week during the Fall and Spring semesters a different practicing attorney(s) serves as a featured speaker for an informal brown bag lunch open to all students. These lunches provide a great opportunity to begin learning about the many and varied practice areas in the legal profession.
- Get a head start on gaining practical legal experience (and do something for the public good) - attend the OCS Pro Bono Opportunities Brown Bag Lunch.
- Start the month off right! Stop by the OCS Open House in early October and get to know the members of OCS!
- It's never too early to start thinking about summer employment! This month OCS will sponsor various 1L "Orientation" Events to acquaint you with opportunities available to first year students.
- Be sure to attend the OCS 1L Orientation - "Working with OCS"
- October programming highlights include:
- "OCS Summer Opportunities Program"
- "Public Interest Summer Expo"
- "Diversity Opportunities"
- "Public Sector Job Search Program for 1Ls"
- "Summer Judicial Internships"
- Interested in Entertainment Law? Be sure to attend the OCS Entertainment Law Symposium Entertainment Law attorneys will be present to discuss their careers in the entertainment industry,
- Beginning November 1st, first year law students are invited to meet with career counselors to discuss their legal job search. Every 1L student is required to meet with an OCS counselor for a detailed resume review. First year students are also required to attend a resume workshop - details about the resume workshop program will follow.
- Students, particularly those interested in applying for summer judicial internships, should start drafting resumes and cover letters.
- Look out for information on Cardozo's Public Service Summer Stipend. You'll need to start by attending a mandatory info session. Info session dates and times will be listed on Symplicity, posted on flyers around school, and shared with you at your mandatory Professionalism blocks.
- Save the date - don't miss these November events:
- "Public Interest Legal Career (PILC) Fair Information Session" Interested in working in the public sector next summer? The PILC Fair takes place in February at NYU Law School and allows students to interview with employers from 200+ organizations. Attend this info session to learn about this important event, then be sure to register for the PILC Fair.
- "OCS Small Firm Program" - November 8th at 6pm in the Moot Court Room. This panel provides an opportunity to hear from small firm practitioners about working in a small firm and environment and getting your foot in the door at a smaller practice.
- "Practice Area Symposium" - The Practice Area Symposium provides an opportunity to learn about a broad range of practice areas while networking with Cardozo alumni and other practicing attorneys.
- "OCS Student Professionalism in Legal Practice" - A professional etiquette program brought to you by OCS. This program will focus on the ins and outs of student professionalism during the Fall and Spring recruitment season.
- First and foremost, focus on your studies. The last day of classes is this month, and then exams.
- Applying for a summer judicial Internship? Many students begin to prepare mailings to judges as soon as their exams conclude. Judicial internships are competitive and applications are typically reviewed beginning in early January (and sometimes earlier.)
- Have you met with a counselor? It is mandatory that all 1Ls meet with an OCS counselor. The final deadline for an appointment is this month.
- Public Law Advocacy Week (P*LAW) takes place each January. Take advantage of the many programs and events that make up P*LAW. Cardozo Summer Public Service Stipend Applicants make special note of P*LAW.
- Spring Recruitment begins! Log on to Symplicity on a regular basis to review current summer employment opportunities. Keep in mind that many public interest, government and small firm employers do their summer hiring between now and the end of April.
- If you have not yet secured a summer position, continue applying for Spring Recruitment opportunities. Please feel free to meet with a counselor to help with your job search strategy.
- Need a few interview tips? Attend the upcoming Interview Skills Workshop - check your ymail account for date, time & location.
- Schedule a "mock interview" with an OCS counselor. This practice interview followed by a thorough critique will ensure that you feel confident walking into all your interviews this Spring.
- Attend clinic info session and apply for fall clinics.
- BLSA Job Fair Pre-Registration
- Patent Law Interview Program
- The Public Interest Auction takes place this month! Take a break from your studies and support your fellow law students engaged in public service.
- Look for OCS programming on the following topics:
- What is Large Firm Practice Really Like?
- Fall Recruitment Information Session
- Start applying for Fall judicial internships.
- Early May will bring the last day of classes. Devote as much time as you can to preparing for your final exams.
- Update your Symplicity online student profile - make sure your current profile reflects your summer employment and any Fall internships or clinical positions already secured.