B.A. 2000, Cornell University
M.P.H. 2007, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
J.D. 2008, Cornell Law School
Areas of Expertise
Jocelyn Getgen Kestenbaum is a Visiting Assistant Professor of Clinical law. She joined the Human Rights and Genocide Clinic in 2013, where she supervises clinical projects on issues of international criminal justice. Professor Getgen Kestenbaum is the director of the Benjamin B. Ferencz Human Rights and Atrocity Prevention Clinic, as well as director of the Cardozo Law Institute in Holocaust and Human Rights. Previously, she worked as program director of Virtue Foundation, a nonprofit implementing rights-based sustainable development projects in health, education, justice, and women’s empowerment globally. Prior to her work at Virtue, Jocelyn was the founding Women and Justice Fellow for the Avon Global Center for Women and Justice at Cornell Law School. While at the Avon Global Center, Getgen Kestenbaum co-supervised projects and co-authored reports on issues of gender-based violence and access to justice, including a comparative study on acid violence in Bangladesh, India and Cambodia.
In addition, she supervised international human rights litigation projects to secure education rights of Afro-descendants and indigenous peoples in Colombia. Getgen Kestenbaum has conducted original in-country research in several countries throughout Latin America, Africa and Asia, and has written award-winning articles examining the reproductive health and human rights violations of Nicaragua's complete abortion ban as well as Peru’s enforced sterilization programs during the internal armed conflict. Her commitment to international human rights has won her Cornell’s Freeman Award for Civil and Human Rights.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Jocelyn Getgen Kestenbaum in the news
- Jun 13, 2018 Professors Getgen Kestenbaum and Rona Lead Team of Human Rights Clinic Students to Brazil
- May 11, 2018 Professor Getgen Kestenbaum's in IntLawGrrls - 'Law as a Method of Destruction: Dismantling Indigenous Land Rights in Brazil'
- May 9, 2018 Professor Getgen Kestenbaum Speaks at Permanent Mission of Costa Rica
- Feb 16, 2018 Professors Getgen Kestenbaum, Rona Involved in Creation of UN Book Addressing Child Involvement in Armed Groups in Contemporary Armed Conflict
- Jan 25, 2018 Professor Getgen Kestenbaum Speaks on Indigenous Land Rights in Brazil
- Sep 7, 2017 Legendary Prosecutor Ferencz Visits with Cardozo Students
- Apr 11, 2017 "War By Any Other Name? It's Still War" Professors Rona and Getgen Kestenbaum in Opinio Juris
- Apr 6, 2017 Kestenbaum and Atrocity Prevention Clinic Continue to Help
- Feb 8, 2017 Cardozo Law's ADR and International Law Programs Receive 'A+' in preLaw Magazine Rankings
- Dec 12, 2016 Benjamin B. Ferencz Human Rights and Atrocity Prevention Clinic Contributes to Report Advising Sri Lanka on Missing Person's Investigations