B.A., 1978, Tufts University;
J.D., 1981, New York University
Areas of Expertise
Leslie Salzman currently directs Cardozo's Bet Tzedek Legal Services clinical program where she has been teaching since 1990. The clinic represents low-income individuals in matters relating to public and private disability and health-related benefits and insurance, housing, and consumer transactions. During her time at Cardozo Law School, she has been involved in individual and class action litigation involving rights under the Constitution, Americans with Disabilities Act, Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare laws, the Federal Housing Act, and various consumer protection laws. In 2002, Professor Salzman was trained as a community mediator and currently mediates community, custody/visitation, and criminal cases in the community mediation centers in Manhattan and Brooklyn. She has recently joined the mediation panel of the Southern District of New York to mediate cases involving the rights of individuals with disabilities.
Prior to joining the Cardozo faculty, Professor Salzman was an attorney at New York Lawyers for the Public Interest, where she specialized in litigation concerning the rights of individuals with physical and mental disabilities and worked for several years as a staff attorney at South Brooklyn Legal Services. After her graduation from New York University School of Law, she served as Pro Se Law Clerk for the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Professor Salzman is a Full-Time Faculty member of Cardozo's Kukin Program for Conflict Resolution. In addition to directing the Bet Tzedek Legal Services clinical program, she teaches Interviewing and Counseling, Disability Rights Law and Its Implications, and Social Welfare Litigation.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Leslie Salzman in the news
- Nov 17, 2017 Bet Tzedek Clinic Gets Preliminary Relief for Young Girl with Disabilities
- Oct 26, 2017 Cardozo Student Samantha E. Smith '18 Represents Young Patients Needing Speech-Generating Devices
- Oct 11, 2016 Cardozo's Bet Tzedek Clinic Represents Children in Need of Speech Generating Devices in Suit Against NY Health Dept
- Nov 10, 2015 Cardozo's Bet Tzedek Clinic Featured in NY Times
- May 4, 2015 Leslie Salzman to Become Clinical Education Director at Cardozo Law; Toby Golick to Retire After 30 Years of Overseeing Cardozo Clinics