Graduates of Foreign Law Schools

  • You must hold a first degree in law (JD, LLB, or an equivalent degree) from a foreign law faculty.
  • If you do NOT hold a first degree in law, you must be licensed to practice in your home country or have passed the national bar exam, and have significant professional legal experience.

Graduates of US Law Schools

  • You must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university or its equivalent and a first degree in law from an ABA-approved law school.

 Candidates for the JD/LLM Joint Degree in Dispute Resolution and Advocacy or Intellectual Property Law

  • Cardozo graduates who hold a JD (and students earning a JD from another law school who visit Cardozo for two semesters) may complete the joint degree program in one additional semester of study. Such students must matriculate into the LLM program no later than two years following the completion of the JD.

Law degrees earned through distance, correspondence or external study, as well as online programs do not fulfill our application requirements.

Please contact the Admissions Office at llm@yu.edu with any questions about program eligbility.