Clear and concise writing is a powerful tool for achieving excellence in law school and in the legal profession. The Lawyering & Legal Writing Center provides Cardozo students with in-depth instruction in legal writing, research, legal analysis and lawyering skills.
As the director of the Center, I encourage you, our law students, to make use of the resources we provide. In addition to our closely supervised first year Lawyering & Legal Writing course and advanced writing courses for both J.D. and LL.M. students, the Center supports individual students’ development throughout their law school careers.
The Lawyering & Legal Writing Center offers the following services:
- Legal Writing Resource Guide (distributed to all students);
- Materials on all aspects of writing, research, analysis and academic success skills;
- Individual work with students on writing, analytic, outlining, note-taking and exam-taking needs;
- Individual work with LL.M. students on English language, writing, analytic, outlining, note-taking and exam-taking needs;
- Workshops on Research Methodology, Citation, Exam Preparation, Spanish for Lawyers, Grammar, Writing in Legal Practice and other topics;
- Program for May Entry Students including topics such as writing, analysis, organization, note-taking, outlining and exam preparation;
- Advisors for students who are writing Journal Notes, fulfilling the law school upper level writing requirement, fulfilling the writing requirement of the Summer Institute Program, writing for Independent Study, and submitting articles to Writing Competitions; and
- Judicial Appellate Advocacy Talks.
Please feel free to contact me, the Center’s director, at email@example.com or the Center’s Administrator, Peter Walsh, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Professor Leslie Newman
Director, The Lawyering & Legal Writing Center, Cardozo Law