B.A. 1980, State University of New York
J.D. 1987, New York University
Areas of Expertise
Patrick Burke is executive director of the Cardozo Data Law Initiative. He teaches E-Discovery, Digital Evidence and Computer Forensics, and Information Governance Law (with Denise Backhouse). These classes form a key part of the core curriculum of the Cardozo Data Law Initiative.
Burke is Counsel in the New York City office of Reed Smith LLP, where he practices with the firm’s Records & E-Discovery and its Data Security, Privacy and Management practice groups. He counsels clients on electronic discovery, digital investigations and evidence, information governance, data privacy, records management and cybersecurity risk, with a particular focus on cross-border electronic discovery and disclosure, European Union data protection and employee privacy. He advises clients regarding defensible identification, preservation, collection, processing, analytics, review and production of electronically stored information, as well as negotiations, meet-and-confer and litigating e-discovery issues. He also counsels clients on managing legal risks associated with data privacy and cybersecurity through improved awareness, upgraded corporate policies, policy enforcement and appropriate technologies.
Since earning his law degree from New York University School of Law in 1987, Burke served as a Law Clerk to U.S. District Court Judge Glenn E. Mencer (W.D.Pa.). He subsequently practiced as a litigator at a number of major law firms – including Linklaters and Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison - as well as serving as in-house counsel at technology and e-discovery companies. Immediately prior to joining Reed Smith, Patrick was a Senior Director and Assistant General Counsel at Guidance Software, the makers of EnCase® digital investigation technology, where he served as a respected advisor to companies, government agencies and military and law enforcement organizations worldwide on implementation of defensible in-house e-discovery processes and digital investigations, data privacy, information governance and IT security.
He holds the Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) certification for expertise in European data privacy from the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Patrick Burke in the news
- Nov 13, 2014 Law Technology News: Cardozo Law's Tech Talk Draws Movie Star Judges
- Nov 12, 2014 Recording of Cardozo Law Tech Talk: "The Evolution of E-Discovery Law and Technology"
- Oct 15, 2014 Law Technology News: Cardozo Law Offers New Technology Programs
- Oct 13, 2014 Cardozo School of Law Launches Technology-Focused Programs, Tech Talks Series
- Oct 1, 2014 Cardozo Law: A Leader in Technology Law
- Sep 16, 2014 Cardozo Law Tech Talks Event Series
- May 19, 2014 NYLJ: Cardozo Law Launches Data Law Initiative
- May 19, 2014 LTN News: Cardozo Law School Launches Data Law Initiative
- May 16, 2014 Cardozo Data Law Initiative Launches