B.A., 1973, J.D., 1976, Columbia University
Areas of Expertise
Professor Sterk’s publications span a wide variety of areas, ranging from property and land use regulation to trusts and estates, copyright, and the conflict of laws. A member of the American Law Institute, he served as an advisor in the preparation of the Restatement (Third) of Property (Servitudes). He has co–authored casebooks on Trusts and Estates and on Land Use, and he also edits the New York Real Estate Law Reporter, a monthly newsletter published with the assistance of Cardozo students.
The winner of a number of teaching awards at Cardozo, Professor Sterk has taught as a visiting professor at Columbia and at the University of Pennsylvania. While in law school, he served as managing editor of the Columbia Law Review, and he subsequently clerked for Chief Judge Charles D. Breitel of the New York Court of Appeals.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue, Room 508
New York, NY 10003
Stewart E. Sterk in the news
- Dec 2, 2016 Building New York: Cardozo Launches the Center for Real Estate Law and Policy (Cardozo Life 2016)
- Jul 8, 2016 Professor Stewart Sterk Quoted in Journal News on Legality of 'Blockbusting'
- Jun 28, 2016 Professor Stewart Sterk Named Sixth Most-Cited Property Scholar from 2010-14
- Jun 10, 2016 Prof. Stewart Sterk Quoted on Williamsburg Rezoning in the Commercial Observer
- May 19, 2016 Prof. Stewart Sterk Speaks to the Brooklyn Paper on Controversy Over Bushwick Inlet Park
- May 11, 2016 Prof. Stewart Sterk Quoted in the Philadelphia Inquirer: How Hershey Trust's Chairman Found a Summer Job For His Son
- Mar 17, 2016 Cardozo Law Announces the Creation of the Center for Real Estate Law & Policy
- Dec 16, 2015 Prof. Sterk Named the Tenth Most-Cited Property Scholar in Nation