March 17, 2016 - Dean Melanie Leslie has announced the new Center for Real Estate Law & Policy at Cardozo School of Law. The center will house various curricular and experiential learning opportunities focusing on real estate law.
“The Center for Real Estate Law & Policy will help bridge the gap between classroom and practice, and will work to prepare graduates to tackle the full range of legal and business issues that confront New York’s vibrant real estate industry,” said Professor Stewart Sterk, director of the center.
The program includes:
- Courses such as Real Estate Transactions, Land Use Regulation, Environmental Law, New York Residential Landlord-Tenant Law, Taxation of Real Estate Transactions, Bankruptcy, Alternative Business Entities and Real Estate Contract Drafting
- A real estate externship program
- Nationally recognized faculty composed of prominent scholars and highly successful practitioners
- The Stephen B. Siegel Program in Real Estate Law, which supports curriculum, publications and academic research.
- The New York Real Estate Law Reporter, a monthly survey of the most important real estate cases decided in New York. It provides concise summaries of court decisions alongside analysis written by students as well as articles by leading practitioners and scholars on topics of current importance to real estate lawyers
- A speaker series and CLE Courses
- The Real Estate Concentration
- The Real Estate Advisory Board, providing access to some of the city’s top industry leaders
Professor Stewart Sterk, the center's director, is a respected scholar in property, trusts and estates, copyright, and the conflict of laws. He has coauthored casebooks on Trusts and Estates and on Land Use, and he edits the New York Real Estate Law Reporter. He was named the tenth most-cited property scholar in the nation in December 2015. Professor Sterk has been awarded "Best Professor" or "Best First Year Professor" at Cardozo Law 11 times.
The center's kickoff event, "The Art of a Successful Deal: Both Sides Must Win!" will take place on April 14, 2016, featuring panelists from RXR Realty and Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. More information on the event can be found here.