B.A., 1984, J.D., 1989, Yale University
Areas of Expertise
Susan Crawford recently authored Captive Audience: The Telecom Industry and Monopoly Power in the New Gilded Age (Yale 2013) and regularly contributes to Bloomberg View and Wired. She served as Special Assistant to the President for Science, Technology, and Innovation Policy during 2009 and co-led the FCC transition team between the Bush and Obama administrations. Crawford is a Fellow at the Roosevelt Institute, where she leads the Institute's work on making high-speed Internet access a universal, affordable resource for all, and a member of Mayor Michael Bloomberg's Advisory Council on Technology and Innovation.
Professor Crawford has been a visiting professor at Harvard, Yale, and the University of Michigan. As an academic, she teaches open government policy, Internet law, and communications law. She was a member of the board of directors of ICANN from 2005-2008 and is the founder of OneWebDay, a global Earth Day for the Internet that takes place each Sept. 22. One of Fast Company's Most Influential Women in Technology (2009); IP3 Awardee (2010); one of Prospect Magazine's Top Ten Brains of the Digital Future (2011); and one of Newsweek's 100 Digital Disruptors (2012). She serves on the boards of Public Knowledge and TPRC and as a faculty co-director of the Berkman Center at Harvard.
Ms. Crawford received her B.A. and J.D. from Yale University. She served as a clerk for Judge Raymond J. Dearie of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, and was a partner at Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering (now WilmerHale) (Washington, D.C.) until the end of 2002, when she left that firm to enter the legal academy.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Susan Crawford in the news
- Nov 27, 2013 Professor Susan Crawford: The Spyware That Enables Mobile-Phone Snooping
- Oct 30, 2013 Susan Crawford: One Federal Website That Works
- Oct 24, 2013 The U.S. Needs a Tech-Smart Government
- Sep 23, 2013 New FCC Head Must Reclaim Authority Over Telecom
- Sep 10, 2013 Landmark Verizon ‘Net Neutrality’ Case Tests Open Internet Rules
- Aug 8, 2013 Reviewed.com: U.S. Internet Speeds Lag Behind
- Aug 7, 2013 Susan Crawford: Jeff Bezos Can Make Newspapers Profitable
- Aug 6, 2013 Warning: Time Warner-CBS Clash Points Up Big Trouble Ahead
- Jul 29, 2013 Susan Crawford: America Needs Internet Access Reform
- Jul 23, 2013 Susan Crawford: Cable Companies Try to Take Over Europe, Too