B.A., 1984, J.D., 1989, Yale University
Areas of Expertise
Susan Crawford recently authored Captive Audience: The Telecom Industry and Monopoly Power in the New Gilded Age (Yale 2013) and regularly contributes to Bloomberg View and Wired. She served as Special Assistant to the President for Science, Technology, and Innovation Policy during 2009 and co-led the FCC transition team between the Bush and Obama administrations. Crawford is a Fellow at the Roosevelt Institute, where she leads the Institute's work on making high-speed Internet access a universal, affordable resource for all, and a member of Mayor Michael Bloomberg's Advisory Council on Technology and Innovation.
Professor Crawford has been a visiting professor at Harvard, Yale, and the University of Michigan. As an academic, she teaches open government policy, Internet law, and communications law. She was a member of the board of directors of ICANN from 2005-2008 and is the founder of OneWebDay, a global Earth Day for the Internet that takes place each Sept. 22. One of Fast Company's Most Influential Women in Technology (2009); IP3 Awardee (2010); one of Prospect Magazine's Top Ten Brains of the Digital Future (2011); and one of Newsweek's 100 Digital Disruptors (2012). She serves on the boards of Public Knowledge and TPRC and as a faculty co-director of the Berkman Center at Harvard.
Ms. Crawford received her B.A. and J.D. from Yale University. She served as a clerk for Judge Raymond J. Dearie of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, and was a partner at Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering (now WilmerHale) (Washington, D.C.) until the end of 2002, when she left that firm to enter the legal academy.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Susan Crawford in the news
- Nov 7, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford on Science Friday: U.S. High-Speed Internet Lags Behind on Price, Cost
- Oct 15, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: Nobel-Winning Message for the FCC
- Oct 13, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: Pulling the Plug on Comcast's Merger
- Sep 3, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: How Amazon Plans to Storm Cable's Castle
- Sep 2, 2014 Massive Internet Outage Points to Flaws in Policy and Technology
- Aug 28, 2014 Time Warner Cable Internet Outage Affects Millions: Professor Crawford in Vanity Fair
- Aug 22, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: Detroit and Big Data Take on Blight
- Aug 21, 2014 Dodgers TV Row Fuels Unease Over Comcast-Time Warner Deal
- Aug 19, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: How Maine Saved the Internet
- Jul 23, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: Useless Pay Phones Are the Wi-Fi Future