B.A., 1984, J.D., 1989, Yale University
Areas of Expertise
Susan Crawford recently authored Captive Audience: The Telecom Industry and Monopoly Power in the New Gilded Age (Yale 2013) and regularly contributes to Bloomberg View and Wired. She served as Special Assistant to the President for Science, Technology, and Innovation Policy during 2009 and co-led the FCC transition team between the Bush and Obama administrations. Crawford is a Fellow at the Roosevelt Institute, where she leads the Institute's work on making high-speed Internet access a universal, affordable resource for all, and a member of Mayor Michael Bloomberg's Advisory Council on Technology and Innovation.
Professor Crawford has been a visiting professor at Harvard, Yale, and the University of Michigan. As an academic, she teaches open government policy, Internet law, and communications law. She was a member of the board of directors of ICANN from 2005-2008 and is the founder of OneWebDay, a global Earth Day for the Internet that takes place each Sept. 22. One of Fast Company's Most Influential Women in Technology (2009); IP3 Awardee (2010); one of Prospect Magazine's Top Ten Brains of the Digital Future (2011); and one of Newsweek's 100 Digital Disruptors (2012). She serves on the boards of Public Knowledge and TPRC and as a faculty co-director of the Berkman Center at Harvard.
Ms. Crawford received her B.A. and J.D. from Yale University. She served as a clerk for Judge Raymond J. Dearie of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, and was a partner at Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering (now WilmerHale) (Washington, D.C.) until the end of 2002, when she left that firm to enter the legal academy.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Susan Crawford in the news
- Feb 25, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: Introducing the Comcast Tax
- Feb 14, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: "Comcast's Time Warner Deal is Bad for America"
- Feb 7, 2014 Susan Crawford: "When it Comes to High-Speed Internet, U.S. Falling Way Behind"
- Jan 28, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: Time Warner Cable Sale Will Cost Us All
- Jan 27, 2014 There Is Still Hope For Net Neutrality, Telecommunications Policy Expert Says
- Jan 6, 2014 Professor Susan Crawford: NSA Scandal May Help Build Cyber-Barriers
- Dec 16, 2013 The Quest for High-Speed Fiber: a Conversation with Susan Crawford
- Dec 13, 2013 Booting Up: New York's Second Tech Boom Re-Programs the Legal Field
- Nov 27, 2013 Professor Susan Crawford: The Spyware That Enables Mobile-Phone Snooping
- Oct 30, 2013 Susan Crawford: One Federal Website That Works