B.A., 1994, Wesleyan University
J.D., 2001, New York University School of Law
Areas of Expertise
Peter L. Markowitz is an Associate Clinical Professor of Law at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law where he founded and directs the Kathryn O. Greenberg Immigration Justice Clinic. The clinic focuses on the intersection of immigration and criminal law and on immigration enforcement issues. It provides deportation defense representation to individuals and represents community-based and national advocacy organizations on impact projects. The clinic has been awarded the Daniel Levy Award for outstanding and innovative advocacy in the field of immigration.
Professor Markowitz and his clinic has been responsible for numerous innovations in the field, for example: spearheading the developing of the nation’s first public defender system for detained immigrants, developing the concept of detainer discretion, and initiating the nation’s first full-service in-house immigration unit located in a public defender office. Professor Markowitz received his J.D. from New York University School of Law, magna cum laude, in 2001, receiving the University Graduation Prize and the Sommer Memorial Award. Following graduation, Professor Markowitz clerked for the Honorable Frederic Block, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of New York. From 2002 to 2004, he was a Soros Justice Fellow at The Bronx Defenders. Professor Markowitz has previously taught at both New York University and Hofstra Schools of Law. Professor Markowitz’s scholarship focuses on intersection of criminal and immigration law and on current trends in immigration enforcement.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Peter L. Markowitz in the news
- Jan 12, 2017 In New York City, Lawyers Make All the Difference for Immigrant Detainees Facing Deportation
- Dec 20, 2016 Professor Peter Markowitz Helps Draft Memo to President Obama Asking to Pardon Some Green Card Holders
- Dec 8, 2016 Professor Peter Markowitz in The Village Voice: "Undocumented Teachers and Students Fear Trump's Promise of Mass Deportations"
- Dec 6, 2016 Professor Peter Markowitz Discusses "San Francisco’s Chance to Provide a Basic Measure of Justice for Immigrants" in SF Examiner
- Dec 6, 2016 Professor Peter Markowitz Discusses Immigration Policy in The Nation
- Dec 2, 2016 Professor Peter Markowitz Appears on Texas Standard Radio on Whether President Obama Can Pardon Millions of Children Without Documentation
- Nov 17, 2016 Professor Peter Markowitz' NY Times Op-Ed Cited by Lawmakers Asking President Obama to Pardon Immigrant Youth
- Sep 23, 2016 "NYC Project Shows Value of Legal Aid in Immigration Court": Professor Peter Markowitz Quoted in Crime and Justice News
- Jul 6, 2016 Can Obama Pardon Millions of Immigrants? Professor Peter Markowitz Writes Op-Ed in New York Times
- Apr 2, 2016 Immigration Justice Clinic Work Praised In NY Times Op-Ed