B.A. 2000, Cornell University
M.P.H. 2007, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
J.D. 2008, Cornell Law School
Areas of Expertise
Jocelyn Kestenbaum joined the Human Rights and Genocide Clinic in 2013, where she supervises clinical projects on issues of international criminal justice. Previously, she worked as program director of Virtue Foundation, a nonprofit implementing rights-based sustainable development projects in health, education, justice, and women’s empowerment globally. Prior to her work at Virtue, Jocelyn was the founding Women and Justice Fellow for the Avon Global Center for Women and Justice at Cornell Law School. While at the Avon Global Center, Kestenbaum co-supervised projects and co-authored reports on issues of gender-based violence and access to justice, including a comparative study on acid violence in Bangladesh, India and Cambodia.
In addition, she supervised international human rights litigation projects to secure education rights of Afro-descendants and indigenous peoples in Colombia. Kestenbaum has conducted original in-country research in several countries throughout Latin America, Africa and Asia, and has written award-winning articles examining the reproductive health and human rights violations of Nicaragua's complete abortion ban as well as Peru’s enforced sterilization programs during the internal armed conflict. Her commitment to international human rights has won her Cornell’s Freeman Award for Civil and Human Rights.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
Jocelyn Getgen Kestenbaum in the news
- May 13, 2016 Cardozo Law Institute in Holocaust and Human Rights (CLIHHR) Prof. Getgen Kestenbaum Awarded Fulbright Scholarship to Teach at Brazil’s UNISINOS Faculty of Law
- Feb 11, 2016 Cardozo School of Law and The International Center for Transitional Justice Partner on a Project on the Missing and Disappeared
- Jun 11, 2015 Cardozo Law Hosts 2015 Human Rights Clinicians Conference
- Sep 18, 2014 Human Rights and Genocide Clinic Wins Victory in Ecuador: Time for Individuals to Request Asylum Extended
- Jun 23, 2014 Human Rights Clinic Files Amicus Against Ecuador Asylum Decree
- Jun 16, 2014 Human Rights and Genocide Clinic Releases Amicus Brief Calling on Ecuador to Revoke Decree on Refugees