LL.B., 1983; LL.M., 1987, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Ph.D., 1990, University of London
Areas of Expertise
Professor Stein has published widely in the US and abroad on torts, medical malpractice, evidence, criminal law, and general legal theory. His writings combine law with economic theories and moral philosophy. Professor Stein is the author of Foundations of Evidence Law and coauthor of Tort Liability Under Uncertainty, both published by Oxford University Press.
He has also published numerous articles that appeared in the Alabama Law Review, Arizona Law Review, Canadian Journal of Law & Jurisprudence, Columbia Law Review, Georgetown Law Journal, Harvard Law Review, Indiana Law Journal, Iowa Law Review, Law & Contemporary Problems, Michigan Law Review, Minnesota Law Review, Northwestern University Law Review, Notre Dame Law Review, Oxford Journal of Legal Studies, Texas Law Review, University of Illinois Law Review, University of Pennsylvania Law Review, University of Toronto Law Journal, Vanderbilt Law Review, Virginia Law Review, Washington Law Review, and other journals.
Professor Stein runs an e-Journal, STEIN on Medical Malpractice, that discusses cutting-edge developments in medical malpractice law.
He is also a permanent contributor to the Bill of Health, a blog run by the Petrie-Flom Center at Harvard Law School. For his multiple contributions to this blog, please visit http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/billofhealth/author/stein.
Professor Stein is on the editorial board of the International Journal of Evidence & Proof and was one of the founding editors of Theoretical Inquiries in Law.
He held visiting positions and taught at Columbia Law School, Yale Law School, University of Miami School of Law, and University of Toronto Faculty of Law. Professor Stein maintains website at http://www.professoralexstein.com.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue, Suite 943
New York, NY 10003
Alex Stein in the news
- Jul 6, 2015 Professor Alex Stein in The Huffington Post: Reproductive Malpractice and the U.S. Military
- Jun 17, 2015 Professor Alex Stein in the Harvard Law Bill of Health Blog - The South Dakota Effect: A Potential Blow to Abortion Rights
- Feb 26, 2015 Professor Alex Stein in Bloomberg BNA: Groundbreaking Case Says Hospital Can't Fire Doctor Based on Conduct During Peer Review
- Feb 3, 2015 CA Court of Appeals Medical Malpractice Decision Relies on Professor Alex Stein's Iowa Law Review Article
- Jan 1, 2015 Professor Alex Stein's Article Listed as Among Ten Best of 2014
- Aug 28, 2014 Professor Alex Stein Cited by Delaware Chancery Court in Orchard Enterprises Stockholder Litigation Decision
- Jun 12, 2014 Lawyers, Professors Discuss Ways around Fla. SC Decision that Struck Down Caps
- May 20, 2014 Professor Alex Stein in the Washington Examiner on FL Decision on Medical Malpractice Caps
- Oct 25, 2013 Professors Richard Bierschbach and Alex Stein Cited in Ninth Circuit FOIA Opinion
- Jun 27, 2013 The Tylenol Debate: Can Hospitals be Sued for Excessive Markups on Medications and Devices?