LL.B., 1983; LL.M., 1987, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Ph.D., 1990, University of London
Areas of Expertise
Formerly Professor of Law at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Professor Stein has published widely in the US and abroad on evidence, torts, medical malpractice, civil and criminal procedure, and criminal law. His writings combine law with economic theories and moral philosophy. Professor Stein is the author of Foundations of Evidence Law and coauthor of Tort Liability Under Uncertainty, both published by Oxford University Press.
He has also published numerous articles that appeared in the Canadian Journal of Law & Jurisprudence, Columbia Law Review, Georgetown Law Journal, Harvard Law Review, Iowa Law Review, Law & Contemporary Problems, Michigan Law Review, Minnesota Law Review, Northwestern University Law Review, Oxford Journal of Legal Studies, Texas Law Review, University of Toronto Law Journal, Vanderbilt Law Review, Virginia Law Review, and other journals.
Professor Stein is on the editorial board of the International Journal of Evidence & Proof and was one of the founding editors of Theoretical Inquiries in Law. He held visiting positions and taught at Columbia Law School, University of Miami School of Law, University of Toronto Faculty of Law, and Yale Law School. Professor Stein maintains website at http://www.professoralexstein.com.
He also runs an e-Journal, STEIN on Medical Malpractice, that discusses cutting-edge developments in medical malpractice law.
Cardozo School of Law
55 Fifth Avenue, Suite 943
New York, NY 10003
Alex Stein in the news
- Feb 26, 2015 Professor Alex Stein in Bloomberg BNA: Groundbreaking Case Says Hospital Can't Fire Doctor Based on Conduct During Peer Review
- Feb 3, 2015 CA Court of Appeals Medical Malpractice Decision Relies on Professor Alex Stein's Iowa Law Review Article
- Jan 1, 2015 Professor Alex Stein's Article Listed as Among Ten Best of 2014
- Aug 28, 2014 Professor Alex Stein Cited by Delaware Chancery Court in Orchard Enterprises Stockholder Litigation Decision
- Jun 12, 2014 Lawyers, Professors Discuss Ways around Fla. SC Decision that Struck Down Caps
- May 20, 2014 Professor Alex Stein in the Washington Examiner on FL Decision on Medical Malpractice Caps
- Oct 25, 2013 Professors Richard Bierschbach and Alex Stein Cited in Ninth Circuit FOIA Opinion
- Jun 27, 2013 The Tylenol Debate: Can Hospitals be Sued for Excessive Markups on Medications and Devices?